What High-Speed Internet Service Do You Need?

How to Protect Your Home—From Your Surveillance System

Surveillance systems and security cameras have become very popular in the last few decades. Unfortunately, as they become more internet-dependent, it also becomes more possible for others to hack into your system. In fact, it has recently been discovered that there are websites available that can hack into an unsecured camera and stream your life online for your very own version of The Truman Show—starring you. 

However, there are ways to protect yourself and your family from getting hacked through your surveillance system so if you have cameras already installed or plan to get them for your home or office, here is a few things to consider.

Rethink Your Passwords

Regardless of whether you get the most advanced security system from a security company or go with a do-it-yourself system that you followed from a YouTube video, once you are planning to have remote access via the internet, you need to fortify your system with a strong password that you do not reuse. Since only about 8 percent of internet users do not reuse a password those that fall into the other 92 percent tend to be easier targets.

A strong password is usually made with a combination of letters, symbols, numbers or random words and is usually recommended to be at least 10 characters in length. This will make it more difficult for hackers to get into your system. Try to avoid numbers or sequences that represent significant events or people in your life such as birthdays or children's names. Sequential numbers or letters are also not recommended for use.

It's also recommended to replace your password every once and a while. It's harder to crack a password that keeps changing.

Ride that stream

There are IP (Internet Protocol) video recorders that have not been hacked and there are security companies that do more than just say that they are serious about your privacy and protection. When you are planning the surveillance strategy for your home or office, you need to do some research to find which ones they are. Those IP video recorders than have been protected will most likely be a safe bet in protecting your live stream as well. 

It is also recommended that you check the brand of the camera that you choose to use. There are certain brands that are more prone to being hacked and you should know these so that you can make an informed decision. The more susceptible brands do not require you to change your password when they are being set up and this leaves your camera's security more prone to being breached. For more information and tips on not letting your surveillance cameras spy on you, contact local professionals such as Guardian Security Solutions alarm systems.


Share